- Native Hawaiians
Governor Ige honors, respects, and promotes Native Hawaiian culture and sustainability.
- Respects and supports the Native Hawaiian community's ongoing efforts for self-determination.
- Provided the highest level of funding to the Department of Hawaiian Home Lands in the state's history -- $24 million - more than double the amount of any previous Governor.
- Ensured that additional CIP funds can be committed to support housing and infrastructure development for the Department of Hawaiian Home Lands' beneficiaries.
- Fought for Native Hawaiians and OHA's co-trustee position to help manage the Papahānaumokuākea Marine National Monument.
- Awarded $31 million in federal grants for Native Hawaiian programs through the University of Hawai‘i system and partnered with Kamehameha Schools to advance Hawaiian language and culture.
- Launched the Hawaiian Language Immersion pilot program that evolved and now celebrates 30 years of cultivating Hawaiian language speakers.
Do you like this page?